In a recent article posted by Scott Gerber, he unpacks 11 tends that will change the way we do business over the next five years. In summary, the trend is towards improving customer experiences using automated technologies…
- Retail will become more service oriented
- Texting will become more popular for companies
- Visual communication will be the best way to communicate
- Website responsiveness will increase
- Authentic craftsmanship will return
- Mobile payments will change everything
- Consumers will gravitate more toward the sharing economy
- The consumerization of B2B services will proliferate
- Everyday services will become digitized
- There will be a renewed focus on privacy
- Virtual reality will become a platform
Take a moment to think about it and they all seem pretty obvious. Yes obvious once you’ve read them… Points 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 all talk to mobile and in particular marketing to the youth via mobile, using SMS. When you add a few more statistics to the equation, the importance of mobile and SMS marketing becomes even more apparent:
- South Africa has more SIM cards than people with mobile penetration of around 128%, and over 20 million smartphones.
- 75 % of all mobile phones worldwide are enabled to receive SMS texts and 98 % of text messages are read.
- Text messages are read on average 90 seconds after receiving them and responded to within the hour.
- About 50% of consumers make a purchase after receiving a SMS with branded text/QR code/coupon or voucher.
- 85% of Millennials aged 18-24 own devices, 80% use it for internet browsing and spend on average five hours per day on their mobile phone
There is no doubt, the future of online promotions and marketing, especially in South Africa, lies with mobile driven platforms, with SMS and social media taking the lead.
The real question is, what to do about these trends? Start now, make sure your marketing strategy includes SMS and work towards mobile conversions and payments. Not sure where to start? We can help.